Monday, March 31, 2008

Cake #5: Happy Birthday, Attempt #2


For the past couple weeks, I've been taking the level 2 Wilton cake decorating course, which focuses on creating flowers with royal icing. Since we're just focusing on the flower techniques, we haven't needed to bake actual cakes for the course; however, since a couple of my coworkers have birthdays to celebrate, I decided to combine some of the new flower techniques with the skills from my last class to get a little more practice.

This cake is a simple 8" torte with basic buttercream frosting. On top of the cake are yellow buttercream roses, pink apple blossoms from royal frosting, and several violets, also, done in royal frosting. Like my last cake, I again attempted using the Wilton writing templates for the letter. Although the icing was a little thicker than ideal, the lettering came out far superior to my previous attempt (the lettering looks much better on the cake than it does in this picture.)

No comments: