Monday, May 19, 2008

Cake #12: What's bugging you?

This summer, my library's children's reading program is "Catch the Reading Bug" so I decided to make this batch of special bug cupcakes for our staff meeting tomorrow.

I found this design in the book, Hello, Cupcake. To make the bugs, I used melted chocolate to trace the legs and antennae. Then, I added various sized M&Ms to make the bodies. It was somewhat difficult to pipe the chocolate into such thin lines...melted chocolate doesn't seem to have near the consistency of icing. I also learned that I had to allow the chocolate to solidify before I could actually add the M&Ms; when I added the M&Ms to the soft chocolate, it completely flattened the chocolate and ruined the design.

Eventually, I mastered the technique and had enough bugs for the cupcakes on hand. Hopefully my coworkers appreciate my hard work!

No comments: