Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cake #21: An Attempt at Elegance

When I first began baking this cake, I had hoped to try my hand at a frozen buttercream transfer; however, when I pulled my 9" x 13" cake from the over, I discovered that my simple layer cake was completely lop-sided! I don't know whether it was my pan or the oven rack, but one side of my cake was about 1½" while the other side was well over 2½".

Since my dream of a perfect layer cake with beautiful buttercream transfer was out the window, I made an attempt at salvaging the cake by cutting it in two and creating a layer cake. While this seemed like a good solution, the two layers failed to align, thus creating large gaps that were extremely difficult to frost.

Fortunately, the formal, yet simple, design for the top, which came from the Wilton Course 1 book, proved itself a good mask for some of the problems. This first usage of my Wilton comb on the sides leaves a lot to be desired; I choose to believe that had the cake itself been better shaped, the comb's results would have been much more satisfactory.

Although this cake is far from my original vision, I am rather proud of my salvage job! I know it's not 100% perfect, but I am fairly happy with the end result.

1 comment: