Monday, September 15, 2008

Cake #23: Goodbye, Dan and Jan



Two of my co-workers are being transferred to a different department this week, and I was somehow coerced into baking the cake. I must admit that I had a great deal of difficulty in selecting a design; apparently going away cakes aren't that popular.

My original plan was to frost my cake in this blue icing and then add several expressions of farewell (So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye.) My plan was to write the words on wax paper and then freeze them so that they could easily be transferred to the top of my cake; sadly, the frozen buttercream transfer technique did not work with single letters/words - instead the icing merely stuck to the wax paper, refusing to "transfer".

This left me again having to resort to a "plan B" at the last minute. (I mean really, does it seem like I'm getting worse and worst with each cake I make!) My first though to salvage this cake was to merely write free-hand across the top of the cake; however, after make first letter, I quickly decided that wasn't an answer (and I now had a large "G" to cover!) So, I resorted to using the Wilton templates I purchased long ago.

While I did have much better luck with the stencils on this attempt, the letters were many times too small for the size cake I chose. If the letters had been 2-3 times bigger, this design might have worked. I will say that I love the gumpaste daisies; they look so nice and are amazing easy to make!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it. It has a seventies feel to it.