Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cake #7: A Delicious Bouquet


I saw the idea for a pot full of cupcake flowers on a number of cake websites, but when I stumbled across this YouTube video explaining how to make these simple flowers, I just knew I had to find an excuse to make them! This week, one of my coworkers is being transferred to better position, so I thought this bouquet would be a nice send-off.

For this bouquet, I used 9 French Vanilla cupcakes decorated as a mixture of carnations and begonias. For the yellow begonias, I merely used the #104 tip to make two simple rows of petals with a smaller center petal. The pink carnations were made in much the same way except that I switched to the #103 tip and made the petals with several quick back-n-forth wavy movements.

To construct the bouquet, I used a styrofoam ball that was about 2" smaller than my pot and then used toothpicks to hold the cupcakes in place; unfortunately, the toothpicks weren't exactly the strongest supports. I can't express the importance of having a styrofoam ball that is at least two inches smaller than your pot in diameter. When I first tried assembling my arrangement, I used a smaller metal bucket, which was almost the same size as the styrofoam, and lead to disasterous results! The cupcakes definitely need the added support of from the pot's rim, which sticks out almost an inch on all sides.

Fortunately, the flower pot did hold the cupcakes, and my coworker really seemed to enjoy it!

No comments: