Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cake #9: Fondant Surprise


For my first fondant cake, I decided to make the classic "gift" cake. I had originally hoped to make this cake yellow with a blue bow; however, since the cake inside is chocolate with a raspberry filling, I thought the yellow/blue/pink combo would be a little too off-putting. Instead, I decided to use green and pink to coordinate with filling.

The most difficult aspect of the cake was actually getting the green icing to lay flat against the cake. Apparently, square cakes are the hardest to cover in fondant since you're trying to cover a square object with a rounded piece of icing. (It would be kinda' like trying to wrap a present without having any visible seams in the gift wrap!) Fortunately, I was able to cover many of the mistakes with the bow and circles.

The bow is constructed of 5 smaller strips of fondant which were shaped individually and then assembled on the cake once they had dried. The circles were merely cut using a set of different-sized cookie cutters. To finish the cake (and to cover all those unsightly cracks along the bottom) I added a simple dot border using white buttercream.

Overall, I am fairly happy with my first attempt with fondant. One of my friends mentioned that this cake looks very "Dr. Seuss-ish", and I have to agree with him....perhaps I'll have to serve it with ham and eggs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
You will make my wedding cake, by the time I get around to getting hitch your skills will be even greater!!!!! love susan

Texasholly said...

That cake looks AMAZING!
I bet you are like your coworkers favorite coworker (um, did that make sense?).
Look at your first cake and compare to this one...