Monday, April 21, 2008

Cake #8: German-y Goodness


Today was the birthday of one of my coworkers; as the new resident baker, I volunteered to make the cake for the celebration. When I asked my co-worker what type of cake he preferred, he said German chocolate. Now, I was really just asking him what favor he preferred...I was planning to use basic buttercream and decorate as I have in my classes. However, since it's his special day, I worked my magic and came up with this scrumptious cake!

I torted an 8x3" round cake into 3 layers and added the traditional coconut/pecan icing between the layers and on top. For the sides and borders, I used a basic chocolate buttercream. I had also planned to add several colorful piece of sugar art formed with color-flow icing; however, when I saw how formal my cake looked, I decided not to use the brightly colored pieces. Thankfully, the cake tasted delicious and was a big hit!

No comments: